Putting on and fitting a saddlepad or numnah
It sounds so simple, but it can cause a lot of problems for your horse - so just some quick guidelines:
• Put the numnah onto the horse without the saddle, slightly in front of where the saddle will sit.
• Check the straps are not caught up.
• Check the offside is not caught up.
• Check the numnah is sitting centrally.
• Then put the saddle on the numnah and slide back into the correct position so the horse's hair is lying flat in the right direction.
• Make sure the numnah sits up into the gullet at the front and the back of the saddle.
• Check that the saddle is not sitting on the binding and that there is a clear margin of numnah or pad visible around the saddle.